Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Letter to My Daughters: The Next Phase

Dear daughters,


Once, long ago, I wrote a letter to you explaining why I was not your friend. Today I write you as a Mother and a friend. You've both come so far and have accomplished so many things but those are just the tiniest tip of the iceberg. Soon you will go onto the next phase of your life. I'll always be in your life, hopefully, but a lot of what comes next will fall squarely onto your shoulders.
I'll never stop giving you advice, and you'll take some hopefully and leave some, and I'll never stop loving you. Even when you make it difficult, there is nothing you can ever do that would stop that love and the need to protect you. But now is the time for that protection to step back and let you live your lives.

You are going to fall.


Life is going to throw a LOT at you and sometimes it is all at once. Life trips us up. We are power walking down the sidewalk of life and we hit a bump. We stumble a little bit but keep on going. But there are going to be times when you hit a hole and you fall down. You are going to fall and at times it is going to feel as if the world is out to get you, or that you'll never move past it. You will. It isn't about how many times we fall, instead it is how many times you stand back up. You may have to stagger to your knees at first but you will stand. And it is how you stand that will make all of the difference. Always stand with purpose and integrity. Those are the two things that come free in life. Use them often. And when you fall and need a helping hand...I'll be there. I may be screaming from the sidelines but I'll be there.

You are going to Love, Lose, Cry and Hate


Love is a very strange thing and it can make fools of us all. Don't pattern your love life after mine. I wasn't smart or independent as much as I should've and that's okay. I'm still a work in progress. The same thing should apply to you at every stage of your life. Love with all your heart but know that love can make it fragile. It can crack. It can shatter but it can always be put back together. Your heart is much like a sword. It has to be tempered. It will have to be made stronger and you can do it.
You are going to lose people in your life and no matter who it is, it is going to hurt. Losing people to death is one of the hardest things to cope with in your life. You're heart doesn't heal from it completely. You bear that scar for the rest of your life and while the scar sometimes stops throbbing, it is always there for YOU to see.


You are going to lose friends and significant others. They are going to come into your life and then leave. It may be a relationship or a friendship. There is a reason for everyone you let into your life and never be afraid of letting others in because your heart will always grow large enough to love them all. But be careful. There are always going to be users in the world that are not happy unless you are unhappy. Don't let them steal your sunshine or your thunder. It is okay to hold friend's accountable. At the same time you need to be a good friend. Being a good friend is hard sometimes because you may have to say or do something that is unpopular but that's okay. Staying true is what guides you and is what a healthy friendship/relationship is all about.


When your relationships end, and there are going to be some, you may experience anger. You may have been done so very wrong. Your heart is going to hurt. Your brain is going to have you confused and your emotions are going to veer into the hatred zone. When you find yourself being pulled down with hatred, I want you to stop. You don't have to hate anyone. If that person ended your relationship through whatever deeds or words, that is on them. NOT YOU. You can only control your own actions. Hate is a wasteful emotion and it makes us unbalanced. Let the anger and hate go.


And we come to the advice portion of this letter. I'm your mom and I'm now beginning the process of being your friend. And I'll never stop. I also won't lie to you to spare you being upset with me when I want to tell you something honestly. Please know that I come from a good place and may have experience in that area that you have not gained. There are also going to be many times when you do not want my advice, my advice isn't needed and times when I don't understand the situation and the advice isn't helpful.


I'll always be your ear though. I'll be here to listen as you work out problems on your own. I'll be with you in spirit no matter where you go in life and will always try to be there physically when you need me most. When you go on to creating your own family, I will still always be your Mother and will always want a part of your life.


You each have so much ahead of you and will be going places, doing things and learning things that I have not. With you lies the very best of me and sometimes the worst. How you live your life is going to be up to you. Lead the way for others and always be a light that shines through the darkest times.


Love,


Your Mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment